Postgraduate Conference 26 November 2009
Cognition of Life:
Identity and Identity Perception in Slavonic and Eastern European Studies
Download the conference programme
10:00 Conference Opening: Andrew Willimott, (UEA)
10:15 Keynote Paper: Edward Acton, (UEA)
11:00 Session I:
- ‘Have you Heard the One about the 1930s: The Culture of Humour under Stalin,’ Jonathan Waterlow, (Merton College, Oxford).
- ‘Memory Culture: The Portrayal of Soviet Childhood through the eyes of Oleg Pavel, Pavel Sanaev and Boris Minaev,’ Rebecca Knight, (University of Exeter).
- ‘Reviewer: Identity and Film Criticism in the late Stalin era,’ Claire Knight, (Emmanuel College, Cambridge).
12:15 Tea and Coffee
12:40 Session II:
- 'A Contrast of Social Identification with Socialism in CEECs and China: A Social Psychological Explanation for Their Different Transition', Chun Zhang, (University College Dublin).
- ‘Exploring Methodological Challenges of Fieldwork on the Romani Groups of Romania,’ Dorian Singh, (St. Antony’s College, Oxford).
14:30 Session III:
- ‘Language and Identity: The Russian Community in Bristol,’ Nadia Taylor, (University of Bristol).
- ‘Translating Belarusian Literature,’ Svetlana Skomorokhova, (University of Warwick).
15:20 Closing Address – Simon Dixon, (UCL, SSEES).
16:00 END TO PROCEEDINGS – (an optional, informal gathering will follow).
If you are interested in attending the annual postgraduate BASEES conference, please contact Andrew Willimott. This event aims to provide postgraduates of all disciplines with a friendly and informal environment in which to present and/or network with peers.